Virtual Events in the Quaker Community: October 2020
Connect with Friends and go deeper in your spiritual experience with these upcoming virtual events in October (and early November), presented by New England Yearly Meeting, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, Friends Committee on National Legislation, Pendle Hill, and more. You’re also invited to FGC’s ongoing worship opportunities!
This article originally appeared in the October 2020 issue of Vital Friends. View the full issue.
Affiliated Yearly Meeting Events
- New England Yearly Meeting:
- October 18th, 2020 – Unknowing God: Undoing What We Think We Know and Learning to Rest in Contemplation. Learn more and register.
- October 18th, 2020 – 400 Years: Truth & Healing for the Next 7 Generations. Learn more and register.
- October 23rd, 2020 – Quaker Worship Lab Inaugural Event. Learn more and register.
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting:
- October 17th, 2020 – Quaker College Fair 2020. Learn more and register.
- October 25th, 2020 – GIANT Children’s Meeting! Learn more and register.
Quaker Partner Organization Events
- Friends Committee on National Legislation:
- Witness Wednesdays (Ongoing), 5:15pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Thursdays with Friends: October 1: The State of Native America, 4:00pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Thursdays with Friends: October 15: Our Elections, Our Democracy, 4:00pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Thursdays with Friends: November 5: After the Elections, Now What?, 4:00pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Friends World Committee for Consultation:
- Quaker Conversations 4 – Quaker Advocacy: Peace, People, Planet, with Diane Randall of FCNL and Andrew Lane from Quaker Council for European Affairs: October 17th, 2020, 1:00pm ET Learn more and register.
- Quaker Conversations 5 – Speaking Truth to Power during a Pandemic: A Quaker Scientists’ Reflections, with Quaker scientist Gray Handley: November 7th, 2020, 1:00pm ET Learn more and register.
- Pendle Hill:
- October 5th, 2020 – First Monday Lecture: Can Quakers and Others Help Prevent an American Slide Into Dictatorship? Hint: Nonviolence Will Be Key!, with George Lakey. Learn more and register.
- October 19th to 23rd, 2020 – Spirits in Darkness: Black Women’s Virtual Writing Workshop, with K. Melchor Quick Hall, Joanne Daley, and Danie “Ocean” Jackson. Learn more and register.
- November 2nd, 2020 – First Monday Lecture: What Happens Wednesday? Preparing Ourselves for the Work Ahead, with Eileen Flanagan. Learn more and register.
- Everence Financial presents Webinar Wednesdays (Learn more and register for individual sessions):
- Simplicity: Finding focus and decluttering our lives: October 7th, 2020 @ 2:00pm and 8:00pm ET
- Biblical basis for socially responsible investing: October 14th, 2020 @ 2:00pm and 8:00pm ET
- How, what and when: Social Security and retirement income: October 21st, 2020 @ 2:00pm and 8:00pm ET
- Strategic generosity at year-end: Nine ideas to increase your charitable giving in 2020: October 28th, 2020 @ 2:00pm and 8:00pm ET
- Business transitions: How do I get out of this?: November 4th, 2020 @ 2:00pm and 8:00pm ET
Additional Quaker Virtual Events
- October 31st, 2020: Open Heart Worship Group – We gather on Saturday, Oct. 31, connecting across geographies & Quaker communities. Joining for part or all of the offerings is welcome. 12:30pm – 2:30pm ET. Learn more and participate.
World Quaker Day is Sunday, October 4th, 2020. If your Quaker community is organizing a celebration or virtual event to observe the occasion, Friends World Committee on Consultation would love to know how it went! Visit this website to submit your post-Quaker Day report.
Is your Quaker community or organization hosting a virtual event? Send it to us!