Virtual Events in the Quaker Community: February 2021
Connect with Friends and go deeper in your spiritual experience with these upcoming virtual events in January, presented by Ben Lomond Quaker Center, Canadian Friends Service Committee, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, Quaker Religious Education Collaborative, and more. You’re also invited to FGC’s ongoing worship opportunities.
This article originally appears in the February 2021 issue of Vital Friends.
Affiliated Yearly Meeting Events
Illinois Yearly Meeting, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, and Friends General Conference:
- February 20th and 21st, 2021 – The Quake That Rocked The Continent – A Quaker Youth Summit. For Middle and High School Students. Learn more and register.
New York Yearly Meeting (NYYM):
Quaker Parent Mutual Support Groups: New York Yearly Meeting will soon launch mutual support groups for Quaker parents. These groups, which will meet either weekly or bi-weekly through April 2021, will provide a space for conversation between Friends who are currently parenting children. Facilitators will be present to set things up and provide listening ears, but the time will be loosely structured so that it can be what you need it to be.
Although this effort is supported by New York Yearly Meeting, Quaker parents from other places are warmly welcomed. Learn more and register to participate.
If you have questions, please contact Emily Provance (support group coordinator)
NYYM Young Adult Friends:
- February 7th, 2021 – Let’s Go to Meeting Together!: Quaker Intervisitation #1. 10:00am to 12:00pm Eastern. Learn more and register.
Philadelphia Yearly Meeting:
- February 28th, 2021 – GIANT Children’s Meeting! 9:00am ET. Learn more and register.
Quaker Partner Organization Events
Beacon Hill Friends House:
- Beginning Sunday, February 7: Art Journaling as a Spiritual Practice drop-in workshops with LJ Boswell. Sundays, February 7, 14, 21 & 28, and March 7 &14. 7 – 8:30 pm ET. Learn more and register.
- Sunday, February 14: Walking with the Bible Winter 2021 “bible hour” in partnership with Woolman Hill Retreat Center, with Peter Blood-Patterson and Katie Breslin. 4:00-5:15pm ET. Closed captioning provided. Learn more and register.
- Wednesday evenings: MIDWEEK: Experiments in Faithfulness. Free, weekly, guest-facilitated spiritual practice with Quaker flavor and an experimental ethos. Closed captioning provided. Every Wednesday, 7:30-8:30pm ET. Register for upcoming sessions and watch past recordings.
- Weekday mornings: Simple Meditation Practice. 15-minute guided meditation practice that begins and ends with fellowship. Every Monday-Friday, 8:00-8:30am ET. Closed captioning available. Join at this Zoom link.
Ben Lomond Quaker Center:
- Quakerism in the Age of the Internet, presented by Jon Watts. February 5th to 7th, 2021 (Pacific Time). Learn more and register here.
Canadian Friends Service Committee:
- Get to Know Thee Friend: A 12-part series for CFSC’s 90th anniversary – A Conversation with Vince Zelazny. Thursday, February 25th, 2021. 7:00pm – 8:30pm Eastern / 4:00pm – 5:30pm Pacific. Learn more and register.
Friends Committee on National Legislation:
- Witness Wednesdays (Ongoing), 5:15pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Thursdays with Friends: February 11th – Episode 21, 4:00pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Learn to Lobby in 30 Minutes. February 2nd, 6:30pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Quaker Changemaker Events in February:
- Quakers and Migration: Local, National, and Global Action for Immigration Justice. Wednesday, Feb. 24 at 3:00 p.m. EST Learn more and register.
- COMING SOON: Spring Lobby Weekend 2021. March 20 – 22, 2021. Learn more and register.
Earlham College – School of Religion
- 2021 ESR Virtual Spirituality Gathering and Visit Week “Spirituality & Activism”. Monday, February 22 – Friday, February 26, 2021. Multiple events, featuring Friends Christine Ashley, Katie Breslin, Karen Tibbals, and many more! Learn more and register for individual events here.
Friends Couple Enrichment:
- Drop-in Dialogue: February 19, 7-9 p.m. Central time. This is an opportunity to freshen up the skills of dialogue that you and your partner learned in a Friends Couple Enrichment event – no matter how long ago it was! Learn more and register.
Friends World Committee for Consultation:
- Quaker Conversations 8: How do we seize the moment to protect God’s creation and life on earth?, with Susanna Mattingly of FWCC: Saturday, February 27, 2021, 3:00pm Eastern. Learn more and register.
- Reclaiming My Authentic Self, A 6-week Soul Restoration Series Workshop with Erva Baden via Zoom. Saturdays from February 5th to March 12th, 2021. For African American Women. Learn more and register.
- Marsha Green of Friends Couple Enrichment. February 1st, 2021. 7:30pm to 9:00pm Eastern. Learn more and register.
Quaker Religious Education Collaborative:
- February Conversation Circles – “Beyond Quakerism 101: How do Friends prepare to be a Light in the world?”
Events of Interest to Friends
Facing Change: Anti-Racism, presented by the Barnes Foundation
- February 15th, 2021, 6:00pm-7:30pm Eastern. FGC’s Coordinator of the Ministry on Racism, Vanessa Julye, is a panelist. Learn more and register.
Lightning Kids (Programming for Children) by South Jersey Quakers
- February 20th and March 13th, 2021, 11:00am to 11:30am Eastern. Learn more and register.
Is your Quaker community or organization hosting a virtual event? Send it to us!