Virtual Events in the Quaker Community: January 2021
Connect with Friends and go deeper in your spiritual experience with these upcoming virtual events in January, presented by Friends Couple Enrichment, New York Yearly Meeting, Pendle Hill, and more. You’re also invited to FGC’s ongoing worship opportunities.
This article originally appears in the January 2021 issue of Vital Friends.
Affiliated Yearly Meeting Events
New York Yearly Meeting:
- Quaker Parent Mutual Support Groups: New York Yearly Meeting will soon launch mutual support groups for Quaker parents. These groups, which will meet either weekly or bi-weekly through April 2021, will provide a space for conversation between Friends who are currently parenting children. Facilitators will be present to set things up and provide listening ears, but the time will be loosely structured so that it can be what you need it to be.
Although this effort is supported by New York Yearly Meeting, Quaker parents from other places are warmly welcomed. Learn more and register to participate.
If you have questions, please contact Emily Provance (support group coordinator)
Philadelphia Yearly Meeting:
- January 24th, 2021 – GIANT Children’s Meeting! 9:00am ET. Learn more and register.
Quaker Partner Organization Events
Beacon Hill Friends House:
- Beginning Tuesday, January 12: Responding to the call: Healing from the sin of separation, a two-month-long, weekly workshop to do the critical work of climate justice, dismantling white supremacy, and beginning reparations coming out of several recent commitments made by Quakers in New England. Supported in part by a grant from the NEYM Future Fund. Series begins on January 12, 2021, at 7 PM (ET). Closed captioning provided. Learn more and register.
- Sunday, January 10: Walking with the Bible Winter 2021 “bible hour” in partnership with Woolman Hill Retreat Center, with Peter Blood-Patterson and Andrew Wright. 4:00-5:15pm ET. Closed captioning provided. Learn more and register.
- Wednesday evenings: MIDWEEK: Experiments in Faithfulness. Free, weekly, guest-facilitated spiritual practice with Quaker flavor and an experimental ethos. Closed captioning provided. Every Wednesday, 7:30-8:30pm ET. Register for upcoming sessions and watch past recordings.
- Weekday mornings: Simple Meditation Practice. 15-minute guided meditation practice that begins and ends with fellowship. Every Monday-Friday, 8:00-8:30am ET. Closed captioning available. Join at this Zoom link.
Canadian Friends Service Committee:
- Get to Know Thee Friend: A 12-part series for CFSC’s 90th anniversary – A Conversation with Carol Dixon. Thursday, January 28th, 2021. 7:00pm – 8:30pm Eastern / 4:00pm – 5:30pm Pacific. Learn more and register.
Friends Committee on National Legislation:
- Witness Wednesdays (Ongoing), 5:15pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Thursdays with Friends: January 7 – Public Health and Healthcare, 4:00pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Learn to Lobby in 30 Minutes. January 19, 4:00pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Quaker Changemaker Events in January and February:
- Strengthening Quaker Community. Wednesday, Jan. 27 at 6:30 p.m. EST – Learn more and register.
- Quakers and Migration: Local, National, and Global Action for Immigration Justice. Wednesday, Feb. 24 at 3:00 p.m. EST Learn more and register.
Friends Couple Enrichment:
- Drop-in Dialogue: January 31, 4-6 pm Central time & February 19, 7-9 p.m. Central time. This is an opportunity to freshen up the skills of dialogue that you and your partner learned in a Friends Couple Enrichment event – no matter how long ago it was! Learn more and register.
Friends World Committee for Consultation:
- Quaker Conversations 7: Social Revolution & Adaptive Community; Parallels between Apartheid & a Pandemic Mentality, with Nozizwe and Jeremy Madlala-Routledge from Southern Africa Yearly Meeting: January 30th, 2021, 7:00pm Eastern. Learn more and register.
- First Monday Lecture: Re-Creating Hope, with Francisco Burgos. January 4th, 2021. Learn more and register.
A Celebration of Disciplined Listening: Learnings from Couple Enrichment at Home and in the Meeting, with Mike and Marsha Green of Friends Couple Enrichment. February 1st, 2021. 7:30pm to 9:00pm Eastern. Learn more and register here.
Events of Interest to Friends
Remember the Ladies, A Virtual Lecture by Angela Dodson
- January 14th, 2021. 6:00pm-7:00pm. Presented by Friends of Arch Street Meeting. Learn more and register here.
National Day of Racial Healing
- January 19th, 2021. Invite your Quaker meeting to take part! Learn more and participate.
The Legacy of Martin Luther King in Troubled Times: Building a Network of Light. A Conversation with Pamela Boyce Simms
- January 22nd, 2021, 7:00-8:30 PM Eastern | 6:00-7:30 PM Central. Sponsored by Friends Meeting of San Antonio. Write to jmhaynes [at] earthlink [dot] net with “MLK22” in the subject line for more information and to receive Zoom info.
Coming up in February – Facing Change: Anti-Racism, presented by the Barnes Foundation
- February 15th, 2021, 6:00pm-7:30pm Eastern. FGC’s Coordinator of the Ministry on Racism, Vanessa Julye, is a panelist. Learn more and register.
Is your Quaker community or organization hosting a virtual event? Send it to us!