Virtual Events in the Quaker Community: November & December 2020
Connect with Friends and go deeper in your spiritual experience with these upcoming virtual events in November and December, presented by Beacon Hill Friends House, Everence Financial, New York Yearly Meeting, Pendle Hill, and more. You’re also invited to FGC’s ongoing worship opportunities.
This article originally appears in the November/December 2020 double issue of Vital Friends. Our last issue of Vital Friends for 2020 was distributed on Friday, November 6th, 2020, but we welcome submissions to this event listing throughout November and December.
Affiliated Yearly Meeting Events
- Intermountain Yearly Meeting:
- November 6th to 8th, 2020 – Colorado Regional Meeting’s Virtual Fall Gathering 2020: Featuring John Calvi as the keynote speaker. Learn more and register.
- New England Yearly Meeting:
- November 6th to 8th, 2020 – Junior Yearly Meeting Weekend Retreat for grades two through six in New England Yearly Meeting. Learn more and register.
- New York Yearly Meeting:
- Quaker Parent Mutual Support Groups: New York Yearly Meeting will soon launch mutual support groups for Quaker parents. These groups, which will meet either weekly or bi-weekly through April 2021, will provide a space for conversation between Friends who are currently parenting children. Facilitators will be present to set things up and provide listening ears, but the time will be loosely structured so that it can be what you need it to be.Although this effort is supported by New York Yearly Meeting, Quaker parents from other places are warmly welcomed. Learn more and register to participate.If you have questions, please contact Emily Provance (support group coordinator).
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting:
- November 6th to 10th, 2020 – Beyond Diversity 101 with Niyonu Spann (Note: This is a hybrid in-person and virtual workshop). Learn more and register.
- November 16th, 2020 – Eco Justice Webinar Green Investing & Friends Fiduciary, 7:00pm ET. Learn more and register.
- November 22nd, 2020 – GIANT Children’s Meeting! 9:00am ET. Learn more and register.
- December 27th, 2020 – GIANT Children’s Meeting! 9:00am ET. Learn more and register.
Quaker Partner Organization Events
- Beacon Hill Friends House:
- Weekday mornings: Simple Meditation Practice. 15-minute guided meditation practice that begins and ends with fellowship. Every Monday-Friday, 8:00-8:30am ET. Closed captioning available. Join at this Zoom link.
- Wednesday evenings: MIDWEEK: Experiments in Faithfulness. Free, weekly, guest-facilitated spiritual practice with Quaker flavor and an experimental ethos. Closed captioning provided. Every Wednesday, 7:30-8:30pm ET. Register for upcoming sessions and watch past recordings.
- Saturday mornings in November: Art Journaling as a Spiritual Practice in Turbulent Times workshops with LJ Boswell. Saturdays November 7, 14, 21, & 28, 10:00-11:30am ET. Closed captioning provided. Learn more and register.
- Friday November 27: GATHER – an intentional Zoom dinner of community and gratefulness. A programmed Zoom dinnertime event, drawing on Friends House resident traditions and small-group conversations as we virtually share a meal the Friday after Thanksgiving. Closed captioning provided. Friday, November 27, 6:30-8:00pm ET. Learn more and register.
- Sunday December 6: Walking with the Bible “bible hour” in partnership with Woolman Hill Retreat Center, with Peter Blood-Patterson and Colin Saxton. 4:00-5:15pm ET. Closed captioning provided. Learn more and register.
- Friends Committee on National Legislation:
- Witness Wednesdays (Ongoing), 5:15pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Thursdays with Friends: November 5: After the Elections, Now What?, 4:00pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Thursdays with Friends: November 19: Living as an Undocumented Migrant, 4:00pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Thursdays with Friends: December 3: Looking Forward to the 117th Congress, 4:00pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Thursdays with Friends: December 17: 116th Congress in Review, 4:00pm ET – Learn more and register.
- Friends Couple Enrichment:
- Drop-in Dialogue: November 20 and December 19th, 7:00pm – 9:00pm Central Time. An opportunity to freshen up the skills of dialogue that you and your partner learned in a Friends Couple Enrichment event – no matter how long ago it was! Learn more and register.
- Friends World Committee for Consultation:
- Quaker Conversations 5 – Speaking Truth to Power during a Pandemic: A Quaker Scientists’ Reflections, with Quaker scientist Gray Handley: November 7th, 2020, 1:00pm ET Learn more and register.
- Pendle Hill:
- First Monday Lecture: What Happens Wednesday? Preparing Ourselves for the Work Ahead, with Eileen Flanagan. November 2nd, 2020. Watch video recording.
- Spirit in the Streets Salons, with Lina Blount: Thursdays, November 5, 12, 19 and December 3, 2020 at 12 noon ET. Learn more and register.
- Friends Decision-Making and Clerking: Participating in Meetings for Business with Joy and Confidence, with Steve Mohlke: Friday, November 20th, 2020 4:00pm ET through Sunday, November 22nd 11:00am ET. Learn more and register.
- First Monday Lecture – Healing Ancestral Trauma: What is Epigenetics and Why Does it Matter?, with Erva Baden, December 7th, 2020 at 7:30pm. Learn more and register.
- What Love Requires: Heart-Opening Practices for Mindful Awareness, Peace, and Compassionate Action. A New Year’s Retreat Online with Valerie Brown, December 28th to 30th, 2020. Learn more and register.
- Everence Financial presents Webinar Wednesdays (Learn more and register for individual sessions here):
- Business transitions: How do I get out of this?: November 4th, 2020 @ 2:00pm and 8:00pm ET
- Mutual aid in the 21st century: November 11th, 2020 @ 2:00pm and 8:00pm ET
- The transformative power of investing: November 18th, 2020 @ 2:00pm and 8:00pm ET
Is your Quaker community or organization hosting a virtual event? Send it to us!