Poetry as Spiritual Practice
Event Date: Wednesday, November 15, 2023
Event Time: 3:00 PM - to 5:00 PM
All events are Eastern Time
The Poetry as Spiritual Practice workshop invites you to experiment with words as a way to deepen your connection with your Inner Guide.
No writing or poetry experience necessary. Just bring yourself and writing materials.
In Poetry as Spiritual Practice you will:
- Read and listen to poets who have come before, from Rumi to the Psalms to Ada Limon, Mary Oliver and others.
- Write during the workshop in response to mindful writing prompts, with the option to read aloud.
- Support positively others’ explorations of words and metaphors, and receive support.
- Explore writing and reading practices that can deepen your everyday connection to Spirit as you understand Spirit.
- This one day workshop is on Wednesday, November 15, 2023 from 3-5pm Eastern / 2-4pm Central / 1-3pm Mountain / 12-2pm Pacific
- One time session, $20 pay-as-led** participation fee
**Pay-as-Led is a method of offering sliding scale pricing so that paid events are more accessible for people with a wide range of abilities to pay. Participants choose how much to pay for the registration fee.
The facilitator will lead this eRetreat using Zoom. During these calls, participants will have the opportunity to reflect on the content, worship together, do additional exercises, and build connections with each other.
Already participated in a previous Poetry as Spiritual Practice session? Feel free to join us again — every session will be different! Upcoming workshops are also scheduled for January 13, 2024 and February 7, 2024.
Poetry as Spiritual Practice will be facilitated by Gay Edelman
Gay Norton Edelman is a member of Shrewsbury Friends Meeting in Shrewsbury, NJ, where she is currently Co-Clerk of Ministry & Counsel. Gay is a poet, essayist and author of the book, The Hungry Ghost: How I Ditched 100 Pounds and Came Fully Alive. She is a Writing Instructor with Project Write Now, a non-profit writing school based in Red Bank, NJ. Working with groups and individuals, virtually and in-person, she focuses on the deep psycho/spiritual aspects of the creative process. Previously, as a writer and editor working in women’s magazines, she specialized in psychology, spirituality and relationships. Gay has worked for many years as a spiritual life coach. Also a Reiki master, yogi and martial arts student, she often combines healing modalities in her spiritual nurturer practice.
Sign up for the Spiritual Deepening email list to be notified about upcoming eRetreat opportunities.