The application process for the fellowship is now closed.
General Statement: This is a nine-month paid fellowship at FGC’s Office in Philadelphia, PA for someone with strong writing and communication skills seeking to gain an understanding of non-profit program coordination and Quaker religious education. This fellow will work closely with and under the supervision of the Spiritual Deepening Program Coordinator, and other FGC staff to support the development of Spiritual Deepening program content for adults and children. This work will be guided by FGC’s minute of purpose, major goals and associated programs. It will include substantial work in creating facilitation guides for Spiritual Deepening exercises from both new and existing materials. This position will play a role in coordinating volunteers as well as participating in broader promotional and planning efforts for the Spiritual Deepening Program. Familiarity with Quaker religious education for adults and children and comfort with small-group processes will be important, but the position does not require high-level work experience. Friends General Conference will support the fellow in pursuing relevant training opportunities in facilitation, volunteer coordination, and/or nonprofit professional development.
Upon completion, a successful fellow will be well qualified for many entry-level positions in non-profit program delivery, development, and coordination.
Education: Two years of college or equivalent experience.
1. Familiarity with leading small group activities.
2. Volunteer coordination.
3. Writing lesson plans, training materials, or other informational content.
4. Collaborative work with colleagues on complex projects.
5. Experience with Quaker meetings, Quaker faith and practice, and Quaker religious education materials.
1. Grasp of effective group process strategies, including small group facilitation.
2. High level of comfort and familiarity with Quaker theology and practices.
3. Strong written and verbal communications skills.
1. Ability to participate in the management of several complex projects.
2. Ability to work collaboratively with others, and to take directions from senior colleagues.
3. Ability to make a full nine-month commitment to the position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Working closely with program staff and key volunteers, assist in the development of Spiritual Deepening Program content and training materials, including developing new content in collaboration with volunteers and adapting existing content for use by small groups and eRetreat participants.
2. Write facilitation guides for Spiritual Deepening activities using existing eRetreat materials or new content compiled by volunteers.
3. Process updates to the Spiritual Deepening Program Library as needed.
4. Contact authors and publishers to secure copyright permissions for content used in Spiritual Deepening materials.
5. In collaboration with volunteers, develop training materials and a plan for promoting the Spiritual Deepening content for children.
6. Assist the Spiritual Deepening Program Coordinator with promotion and customer service for the in-person small group leaders and eRetreat participants.
7. Conduct an assessment of FGC’s collection of curricula and resources to find and adapt existing content for Spiritual Deepening eRetreats or small group facilitation guides.
8. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Supervisor: Spiritual Deepening Program Coordinator
Hours: 100% Time (35 hours/week) for nine months (September 2018 – May 2019)
Stipend: $1768/month plus health insurance