Once you are at the Gathering, sign up for pre-planned off-campus trips offered Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday afternoons. Costs vary. You can also design your own trip with information provided at the Local Arrangements table.
Known as the "Jewel of the Prairie," Grinnell has some of Iowa's most entrepreneurial independent restaurants, a host of unique retailers and a charming downtown. Likely field trips will showcase local walking tours of buildings by world-renowned architects and local artists, Iowa’s agriculture, the Mother Mosque, a historical look at the Amana colonies, and guided tour of the prairie with the author of Hiking Iowa.
Off-Campus Field Trips
The field trip list is still being finalized. Check back in late winter, 2019
Opportunities to design your own experiences in and around Grinnell
Following are suggestions for places to explore on your own during the Gathering. You can also review the list of field trips and include those places in your self-designed trips.
• Get active at the new aquatic center, 11 public parks, bike trails, disc golf course and Rock Creek State Park
• Discover Grinnell’s history with a visit to the Grinnell Historical Museum
• Get inspired by a tour of the word-class art exhibits at Faulconer Gallery on the Grinnell College campus
• Admire the ornate details of Merchants National Bank, designed by Louis Sullivan
• Explore the unique shops in our legendary downtown
• Join the fun at community events and festivals
• Learn about the local foods scene from a local producer and visit the Grinnell Farmers Market on Thursday afternoons
• Take an architectural walking tour of downtown Grinnell
• Learn more about Grinnell’s thriving economy from the Chamber of Commerce
• Dine at one of Iowa’s hottest independent restaurants (grill your own steak, eat at the historic train depot, savor the flavors of Iowa’s Best Bite contest winner, and much more)
• Learn gardening secrets from local gardeners responsible for earning Grinnell the distinction as the “Best Bloomin’ Town in Iowa”
• Take an industry tour at one of Grinnell's businesses
The Local Arrangements table will contain information on all listed opportunities for you to peruse during registration time on Sunday, from 7:30 am to 8:30 am Monday through Friday and afternoon hours following lunch on Monday through Thursday. Field trip sign-up will take place at the adjoining table.