Junior Gathering Volunteer Job Description
Junior Gathering Staff contribute their gifts, their spirit and their love to the children in our care. The positive experience of the children depends on being in an environment that allows them to freely express themselves and to grow in the Spirit while making friends, learning, and having a good time. Junior Gathering staff provide this environment in a myriad of ways, including: the way they speak with children, the way they help the children work through conflicts, the activities provided, their laughter, their respect for the children's ideas, the fostering of sacred space and time, the time they take to make sure they understand what a child is saying and through each choice that is made that allows the Spirit to move through the group.
Everyone who serves on Junior Gathering Staff should complete a Junior Gathering Staff application each year to update contact information.
Junior Gathering in a virtual space
Junior Gathering is a place for all children from infants to 9th grade. Our program model has shifted since moving to virtual space. Junior Gathering will meet Monday- Friday from 4:30-6 pm eastern/ 3:30-5 pm central/ 2:30-4 pm mountain/ 1:30-3 pm pacific during Gathering week (6/27-7/3). We will meet as a full group for 45 minutes and in age-based break-outs for 45 minutes. The themes of this year's Junior Gathering are culture, place, and belonging.
We have a variety of staff roles needed at the 2021 Junior Gathering:
- Full Group Leader: lead an all-ages activity once during the week
- Small Break-out Leader: co-lead a age-based break-out group, daily Monday-Friday
- General Support Staff: serve as a loving presence for Junior Gathering and participate where needed
- Tech support: help share documents, create break-out rooms and support with Zoom needs
Since moving to a virtual format, the 2021 FGC Gathering will be Pay as Led. As a result, we will not offer work grants this year. The time and gifts of Junior Gathering Staff are valuable to the FGC community. We ask that you prayerfully consider your service to Junior Gathering and to contribute whatever amount feels meaningful to you.
Prior to the Gathering
- Review all materials that are sent to support staff
- Complete reference request (as needed)
- Complete an Online Child Safety Training and Quiz
- Attend additional online staff trainings prior to Gathering
During the Gathering
- Attend Junior Gathering based on your role (daily for Break-out Leaders or once for Full Group Leaders)
- Supervise and participate in activities with the children
- Communicate with your co-staff to plan any necessary activities or materials
- Communicate any concerns or problems that arise with the children to the coordinator immediately
- Provide three references from people who are familiar with your work with children
- Active in a meeting or Quaker organization for 6 months prior to the Gathering
- Staff T-shirts must be worn when in Junior Gathering.
For safety's sake, each JG Staff memer will be issued a JG Staff T-shirt to wear during program time. The JG Staff shirts are bright pink which are easy for children to identify. The graphic was designed in 2016 by a Junior Gathering participant. Shirt sizes are ordered on your staff application and will be distributed by mail prior to Gathering. Guest presenters are not expected to wear a JG Staff T-shirt.