Junior Gathering Volunteer Job Description
|Communicate with:||Junior Gathering Coordinator|
|Work Grant:||50% of Basic Fees (morning); 40% of Basic Fees (evening)|
|Time Commitment:||2-3 hours prior to Gathering; attend training, staff meeting and Open House on first day of Gathering.|
Morning staff: 19 - 22 hours during Gathering
Evening Staff: approximately 12 hours during Gathering.
Junior Gathering Support Staff contribute their gifts, their spirit and their love on a daily basis to the children in our care. The positive experience of the children depends on being in an environment that allows them to freely express themselves and to grow in the Spirit while making friends, learning, and having a good time. Junior Gathering staff provide this environment in a myriad of ways, including: the way they speak with children, the way they help the children work through conflicts, the activities provided, their laughter and hugs, their respect for the children's ideas, the fostering of sacred space and time, the time they take to make sure they understand what a child is saying and through each choice that is made that allows the Spirit to move through the group.
The support staff for each group are the bridge between the curriculum, which is developed by the group's coordinator, and the building of a spirit-filled environment. They communicate with the coordinator during staff meetings and throughout the group time regarding what activities are planned and what is expected. Then they assist the coordinator in implementing the plans. As specific needs come up, the support staff makes sure they are met, with the help and supervision of the coordinator.
Prior to the Gathering
- Review all materials that are sent to support staff.
- Make contact with the coordinator of the assigned group (Coordinator may initiate contact). Communicate the skills and gifts you have to share with the children so they can be integrated into the program.
First Day of the Gathering (Sunday)
- Attend training workshops in the morning (starts approximately 8:30 am).
- Attend the Sunday afternoon staff meeting.
- Participate in group staff meeting and in setting up the group's space.
- Attend Junior Gathering Open House, 6:15 - 7:15 PM, on Sunday.
During the Gathering
- If possible, attend Junior Gathering Worship each morning from 7:45 - 8:15. This time is also used for announcements and updates on Junior Gathering activities.
- Attend your Junior Gathering group. Morning staff hours are from 8:30 - 12:15 Monday through Friday. Evening staff hours are from 6:30 - 9:15 Monday through Friday (excluding Wednesday). Group staff meetings may occur before or after these times.
- Help set up and clean up before and after group.
- Attend daily group staff meetings or reviews, as scheduled.
- Supervise and participate in activities with the children.
- Support the coordinator's curriculum plan in whatever way is needed; Share gifts and skills with the children.
- Communicate any concerns or problems that arise with the children to the coordinator immediately; be available for errands and emergencies.
- Interact with parents as they drop off and pick up their children. When they have concerns, refer them to the group coordinator, Coordinator of Junior Gathering or Friend in Residence as needed.
- Help with preparation and delivery of snacks.
- Help with break-down and clean-up of your group's space at the end of the week.
- Recruit at least one person to pack up supplies to be returned to Local Friends, local schools and the FGC office on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.
- Provide three references from people who are familiar with your work with children
- Active in a meeting or Quaker organization for 6 months prior to the Gathering