Welcome All Future High School Staff
What to Expect as High School Staff
This year's Gathering is from noon Sunday, July 3 to Saturday July 9. Staff training begins at 9:00 am on Saturday, July 2nd. HS staff are invited to arrive on Friday evening for dinner, fellowship and settling in. All HS staff spend the first day and a half in our orientation for the week. We ask that counselors plan to leave after noon on July 9 to assist the HS participants in their departure. Be prepared to be busy with late night commitments. Self-care for sleep and personal needs is important and supported by the entire staff.
You will not be able to participate in a Gathering morning workshop since HS staff participate in our own activities during this time.
We focus on HS participant care and creating a safe vessel for individual and community growth, and also on supporting each other.
HS staff receive a full workgrant for the Gathering (all fees are covered). Travel costs are typically covered by the individual -- some travel assistance might be available if needed.
All HS staff live in the HS dorm (in a private room) and each individual has one night completely off to provide for self-care. Staff lead a support group of around 8 participants, further deepening the spiritual and communal work in a more intimate setting.
Not everyone who applies to be a staff member is chosen. Effort is made to create a balance of gender, age, skills, personalities, and regional representation as we design each year’s team of HS staff. Read more about the qualities of prospective counselors, and factors in building a staff team.
Fostering a Strong Staff Community
We believe that the High School program at Gathering is a transformative experience for many staff and participants. The High School Program should be center of your week, and our vision is to create a spiritually grounded community of staff members that:
- Fosters trust;
- Shares a common vision of expectations;
- Invites understanding of others' gifts, strengths, limits, and challenges;
- Provides a safe space for dissention by caring for each other through our differences;
- Not only works together, but plays together;
- Provides opportunities to learn about each other;
- Provides a space for the communication and acknowledgement of needs.
This list is not exhaustive, but is rather the beginning of a vision which we hope to develop as a staff through the coming year and beyond.
Completing the Application
Everyone applying should complete the High School Staff Application by April 22. We will review all applications received by this date and send out notifications by May 2. Late applications will be considered in the event that we have not been able to assemble a diverse group of staff.
Who needs to complete the Reference and Criminal Background Check forms?
- If you have worked with youth at the Gathering for two of the past three years, you do not need to complete the reference check form. Check "no" to the question at the bottom of the application's first page, and click "Submit."
- If you had a criminal background check by FGC in the last five years, you do not need to complete the criminal background check form.