15th Annual Interfaith Walk for Peace and Reconciliation April 29
Arch Street Meeting House will be the starting point for the 2018 Interfaith Walk for Peace and Reconciliation on April 29, 2018. Monthly meeting members are participating in the welcoming of hundreds of walkers from many different faith communities across Philadelphia and the region. This is the first time the walk is beginning at a Friends meeting house. Participants will gather in the West Room between 1:30 and 1:45 pm for a 2:00pm start.
After a welcome and a short period of silent worship in the Quaker tradition, the walk will proceed south on 4th Street to the Society Hill Synagogue (418 Spruce St.). Here there will be a half-hour program, including music, prayer and recitations, from Sikh, Jewish and Islamic groups.
Next, the walk will proceed north to the Al Aqsa Mosque (3rd and Jefferson Sts.), a walk of about one hour, for a welcome, then food and fellowship provided by the mosque's community. The event will conclude at approximately 5:00pm.
All are welcome to this event. Some guidelines:
- The walk is a spiritual event. Please respect each house of prayer by entering and leaving in communal silence or singing (as led by group organizers)
- Please wear white as a sign of unity
- Guides and ushers will have colored armbands, and will answer questions on walk logistics
- Proceed to each location together with the group
- Restrooms are available at each location
- A bus will be available for those unable to walk, and medics will be on hand to assist those in need of aid.
- Please consider using public transportation to arrive at the Arch St. Meeting House, as parking there will be limited. There is on-street parking only at the Society Hill Synagogue, but some parking at the Mosque.
For more information about the event, please see www.interfaithpeacewalk.org
MMFP members wishing to volunteer as ushers, welcomers and hospitality, please speak to Mike Kachur. We need many hands to help make this event a success for all.