Friends General Conference

Together we nurture the spiritual vitality of Friends

History of the Meeting

Public ContentAnyone can view this post

Framingham Friends Meeting began in 1959 with an informal gathering at the home of Margaret Welch. In 1961, the Framingham Worship Group, as it was known, was formalized under the care of Friends Meeting at Cambridge, and met monthly in the homes of members. Following the usual Quaker process, it became a preparative meeting in 1964, and in 1979, became an independent monthly meeting, as it is today.

The meetinghouse is the former #7 schoolhouse, which was originally built in 1839 and moved to its present location in 1964. An addition, to provide space for first day school and other activities, was built in 1974 and the building was made wheelchair accessible in 1994. A new kitchen was completed in time for thanksgiving dinner in 2008.