Welcome to Faith & PlayTM
Like Godly Play®, with which it is designed to be used, Faith & PlayTM is
- designed for children 3 to 12 and is suitable for multigenerational settings
- is deeply respectful of children and their spiritual lives
- employs highly visual storytelling and open-ended questions
- requires training to be used effectively
In the Faith & PlayTM classroom, an experiential framework for exploring Quaker faith and practice with children is provided through
- regular use of story in a structured environment,
- careful pacing, including periods of silence,
- community building,
- mutual sharing and
- creative play.
While created by Friends for Friends, many Faith & Play stories can also be used by people of other faith traditions with little or no modification.
There are currently eight Faith & PlayTM stories available for purchase:
- Listening for God: A story about different ways we sense God’s presence
- Prayer and Friends Meeting for Worship: A story about Friends gathering as a community to listen for God
- Gifts: A story about the gifts God gives each of us
- Queries: A story about the role of queries for early and present-day Quakers
Friends Meeting for Business: A story about meeting for worship with an attention to business
Let Your Life Speak: A story about the testimonies and what happens when we live our lives guided by Spirit (This story is designed for older children.)
- George Fox’s Big Discovery: A story about a way God reveals the Truth to us
- The Mary Fisher Story: A story about a Friend who lived in God’s love, power and peace
Included with each story text are a photograph of the story materials and directions for the storyteller’s movements. New stories are under development and will be released as they are ready. If you have purchased the first volume of six stories and would like the additional two more recently released ones, you can purchase all eight as a download for a nominal fee through QuakerBooks of FGC. Please note that anyone who wishes to use Faith & PlayTM resources effectively needs to have a hands-on familiarity with the Godly Play® approach to religious education.
Faith & PlayTM is the creation of the Faith & Play Working Group, under the care of the Children’s Spiritual Life Committee of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (PHLYM) of the Religious Society of Friends. Friends General Conference (FGC) provides significant ongoing staff support for Faith & PlayTM, publishes and markets the stories, and maintains this website. Both PHLYM and FGC, independently and cooperatively, provide Faith & Play workshops and training opportunities.