Junior Gathering Volunteer Job Description
|Communicate with:||oaK Group Coordinators|
|Work Grant:||Room and Board|
|Time Commitment:||10-20 hours prior to Gathering|
Attend staff meetings and oaK Group Parent/Participant meeting Sunday evening
25-30 hours during the Gathering
As a morning workshop leader, you will be guiding a group of approximately eight to twelve 6th, 7th and 8th grade participants. oaK Group Workshop Leaders contribute their gifts, their spirit and their love on a daily basis to the young people in our care. The positive experience of the participants depends on being in an environment that allows them to freely express themselves and to grow in the Spirit while making friends, learning, and having a good time.
oaK Group Workshop Leaders develop their workshop curriculum in collaboration with their Co-leaders with the intention of building of a Spirit-filled environment. They communicate with the oaK Group Coordinators during staff meetings and throughout the group time regarding what activities are planned and what is expected. Coordinators assist the Workshop Leaders in implementing the plans as needed. As specific needs come up, Workshop Leaders are supported and guided by the oaK Group Coordinators.
Prior to the Gathering
- Review all materials that are mailed to support staff.
- Make contact with oaK Group Coordinators. (Coordinators may initiate contact).
- Develop a 5 day curriculum for your workshop with time included for reflection, snack and worship.
- Provide a list of materials you will need for your workshop to the oaK Group Coordinators.
- Communicate to your Co-leader and Coordinators the skills and gifts you have to share with the 6th, 7th and 8th graders so they can be integrated into the program.
- Establish contact with your workshop Co-leader & collaborate on curriculum development.
- As curriculum is developed, begin thinking about and communicating how you plan to work with your Co-leader (ex, do you see your position as more of a leader, helper, equal collaborator, etc?)
First Day of the Gathering (Sunday)
- Attend training workshops in the morning.
- Attend the Sunday afternoon staff meeting.
- Participate in oaK group staff meeting and in setting up the workshop’s space.
- Attend oaK Group Parents Meeting, Sunday evening.
During the Gathering
- Attend the workshop you will be leading. Morning staff hours are from 8:30 AM – 12:15 PM Monday through Friday. Help set up and clean up before and after your workshop.
- Attend daily group staff meetings or reviews, as scheduled.
- Share gifts and skills with the attendees.
- Communicate any concerns or problems that arise with the kids to the Coordinators immediately; be available for errands and emergencies.
- Interact with parents if they have concerns & refer them to the oaK Group Coordinators, Junior Gathering Clerks, and Junior Gathering Staff Coordinator as needed.
- Assist with preparation and delivery of snacks.
- Help with break-down and clean-up of your group’s space at the end of the week.
- Recruit at least one person to pack up supplies to be returned to Local Friends, local schools and the FGC office on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.
- Provide three references from people who are familiar with the staff person’s work with children
- Active in a Meeting or Quaker Organization for at least 6 months prior to the Gathering
- Provide consent for a background check if leading groups off campus.