Junior Gathering Volunteer Job Description
|Communicate with:||Oak Coordinators|
|Work Grant:||Program Fees|
|Time Commitment:||5 hours prior to Gathering|
Attend staff meetings and Oak Group Parent/Participant meeting Sunday evening
15 - 20 hours during the Gathering
Evening Oak Group Support Staff contribute their gifts, their spirit and their love on a daily basis to the 7th and 8th graders in our care. The positive experience of the attendees depends on being in an environment that allows them to freely express themselves and to grow in the Spirit while making friends, learning, and having a good time.
As evening support staff in Oak Group, you will be facilitating a worship sharing group of approximately five to eight 6th, 7th and 8th graders in a series of activities centering on a query of the day, and on the oaK Group attendees’ talents. Housekeeping details such as announcements and attendance are taken care of in worship sharing groups as well. Following worship-sharing groups, evening support staff in Oak Group offer semi-structured activities for the participants to choose, ranging from sports to cooking to art projects. These are often offered in tandem with another support staff member. Evening support staff communicate with the Oak Group Coordinators prior to the evening session regarding what activities are planned and what is expected. Coordinators assist the evening staff in implementing the plans. As specific needs come up, Evening staff are supported and guided by the Oak Group Coordinators.
At the end of the week, the kids may have a ‘coffee house’, at which time they will be invited to share their gifts and skills with all other attenders. Evening Support Staff are guides to the participants throughout the Gathering, assisting the development of their ‘act’ or ‘skill’ presentation. (which may even include food-making, etc.)
Prior to the Gathering
- Review all materials that are sent to support staff.
- Make contact with Oak Group Coordinators. (Coordinators may initiate contact).
- Communicate to the Coordinators the skills and gifts you have to share with the 6th, 7th and 8th graders so they can be integrated into the program.
First Day of the Gathering (Sunday)
- Attend optional training workshops in the morning.
- Attend the required Sunday afternoon staff meeting.
- Attend Oak Group Parents/Participants Meeting, Sunday evening
During the Gathering
- Evening staff hours are from 6:30 PM – 9:15 PM Monday through Friday (except Wednesday). Help set up and clean up before and after your worship-sharing group and the activity you will be facilitating.
- Attend daily group staff meetings or reviews, as scheduled.
- Share gifts and skills with the attendees.
- Communicate any concerns or problems that arise with the kids to the Coordinators immediately.
- Interact with parents if they have concerns & refer them to the Oak Group Coordinators, Coordinator of the Junior Gathering or JG Friend-in-Residence as needed.
- Assist with break-down and clean-up of your group’s space at the end of the week.
- Provide three references from people who are familiar with the staff person’s work with children
- Active in a Meeting for 6 months prior to the Gathering