Welcome All Future High School Staff
What to Expect as High School Staff
This year's Gathering is from noon Sunday, July 5 to Saturday July 11. Staff training begins at 9:00 am on Saturday, July 4th. HS staff are invited to arrive on Friday evening for dinner, fellowship and settling in. All HS staff spend the first day and a half in our orientation for the week. We ask that counselors plan to leave after noon on July 5 to assist the HS participants in their departure. Be prepared to be busy with late night commitments. Self-care for sleep and personal needs is important and supported by the entire staff.
You will not be able to participate in a Gathering morning workshop since HS staff participate in our own activities during this time.
We focus on HS participant care and creating a safe vessel for individual and community growth, and also on supporting each other.
HS staff receive a full workgrant for the Gathering (all fees are covered). Travel costs are typically covered by the individual -- some travel assistance is available if needed.
All HS staff live in the HS dorm (in a private room) and each individual has one night completely off to provide for self-care. Staff lead a support group of around 8 participants, further deepening the spiritual and communal work in a more intimate setting.
Not everyone who applies to be a staff member is chosen. Effort is made to create a balance of gender, age, skills, personalities, and regional representation as we design each year’s team of HS staff. Read more about the qualities of prospective counselors, and factors in building a staff team.
Fostering a Strong Staff Community
We believe that the High School program at Gathering is a transformative experience for many staff and participants. The High School Program should be center of your week, and our vision is to create a spiritually grounded community of staff members that:
- Fosters trust;
- Shares a common vision of expectations;
- Invites understanding of others' gifts, strengths, limits, and challenges;
- Provides a safe space for dissention by caring for each other through our differences;
- Not only works together, but plays together;
- Provides opportunities to learn about each other;
- Provides a space for the communication and acknowledgement of needs.
This list is not exhaustive, but is rather the beginning of a vision which we hope to develop as a staff through the coming year and beyond.
Completing the Application
Everyone applying should complete the High School Staff Application.
- If you have worked with youth at the Gathering for two of the past three years, you do not need to complete the reference check form.
- If you had a criminal background check by FGC in the last five years, you do not need to complete the criminal background check form.